Dogs With Sensitive Stomach Dog Treats
- 1 cup of rice flour
- 1 cup of quick cook oats
- ¼ cup of no-salt chicken broth
- 4 tbsp. of olive oil
- 3 oz. of apple sauce
- ½ cup of diced carrots
- ½ cup of diced green beans,
- 1 tbsp. of baking powder
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking sheet with some olive oil. Mix all dry ingredients into one bowl and mix all wet ingredients in another.
Then, stir dry ingredients into wet ones. When you get a smooth mixture, shape your cookies and place them on the sheet.
Bake the cookies for 15 minutes and allow them to cool before serving.
Pin and share with other dog owners:
Baked Sweet Potato Dog Treats
Most dogs really love sweet potatoes, and it doesnt get any easier than this recipe! Baked sweet potato treats make a nutritious snack for your pup and contain healthy fiber to treat diarrhea or constipation.
- Whole sweet potatoes, as many as you want to cook
Wash the outer skin of the sweet potatoes, then slice them thinly but no thinner than 1/4 inch. Try using a mandolin slicer for consistent slices. If the slices are too thin, theyll get crispy, and your dog will gobble them very quickly. Thicker slices stay chewy and keep your pup busy for a while.
Once sliced, spread the pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake in the oven at 250F for 2.5 to 3 hours, turning them over halfway through the cooking time. Cook until the slices are dried out and shrunken but still slightly bendable. After cooling, store the sweet potato treats in a closed container in your refrigerator. Theyll keep for up to three weeks.
Tips For Making Your Dogs Food At Home:
- If youre not ready to make the leap to cooking all of your dogs food, try just adding some real, whole foods to their kibble. You can start with simply stirring in a scrambled egg, mixing in some chopped apples or carrots, or adding a small amount of the homemade dog food in with their normal kibble.
- You should be able to serve this homemade dog food to your dog either hot or cold. Ive found that dogs love this dog food so much, that they are not picky about how its served.
- Its not usually a good idea to abruptly change your dogs food. Start transitioning them to homemade food by mixing some of this in with their regular food or kibble for a few days until they are used to the new food. Your dogs belly will thank you. And again, remember to always discuss with your vet before feeding your pet something new.
- To give your dog a variety of different nutrients, use different meats, fruits, and vegetables to make your dogs food. However, if your dog has a sensitive stomach, it might be best to stick to one combination that you know works.
You May Like: Sharp Pain Right Side Stomach
Characteristics Of Good Dog Foods For Dogs With Sensitive Stomachs
Because dogs can suffer from a sensitive stomach for a variety of reasons, and different ingredients affect some dogs differently than others, it can be difficult to make many generalizations with regard to good foods for dogs that dont digest food well.
However, there are a few things that tend to characterize most sensitive stomach dog foods that are easily digested, including:
Transitioning To Homemade Dog Food
Most dogs dont have a problem making the switch to homemade food. If yours is prone to digestive issues, start slowly by mixing a little bit of the homemade food with the commercial food.
Over the course of a week or two, gradually increase the amount of homemade food while decreasing the commercial food.
If your dog vomits or has diarrhea, try introducing only a couple of new ingredients at a time until their systems are well adjusted to the fresh diet.
For dogs with health issues, please consult with a veterinarian if you arent sure what kind of supplements are needed. Use your best judgment, the way you would when feeding yourself or your family.
Don’t Miss: How.to Cleanse Your Gut
At The End Of 2019 During Our Yearly Vet Check We Received The Devastating News That Our 11 Year Old Dog’s Blood Work Showed That He Was In Stage 4 Kidney Failure
Honestly, I was a basket case, how on earth did we miss this? He seemed like he was just dealing with some symptoms of getting older – frequent urination, sometimes excessive water drinking. It definitely didn’t feel like life-threatening symptoms. As much as the diagnosis was a shock, the price tag of the prescription diet he would need to eat for the remainder of his life was pretty horrifying too!
Blue Buffalo Basics Duck & Potato
Image courtesy Blue Buffalo
Blue Buffalo Basics Duck & Potato Formula is made with duck as the first ingredient, followed by potatoes. This formula is grain-free and designed for dogs with sensitivities.
It also contains a blend of fruits and vegetables to provide your dog with the nutrients they need. This formula is free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
Read Also: How To Lose Liver Fat
Benefits Of Choosing A Premium Dog Food For Sensitive Stomach And Diarrhea
- Helps Prevent Allergic Reactions – Dog food formulas for sensitive stomachs tend to avoid high-allergen foods like corn and wheat. They focus on easily digestible items and often have limited ingredients so itâs easier to eliminate potential allergens from your palâs diet.
- Helps Prevent Inflammatory Bowel Disease – IBD in dogs occurs when your pupâs gastrointestinal tract experiences ongoing irritation. Over time, he develops a sensitivity or allergy to a hard-to-digest protein or another ingredient. Feeding a sensitive stomach dog food can prevent further damage to Fidoâs system because the food sources are simple and easier on the system.
- Helps Prevent Chronic Diarrhea – If you feed your furbaby food with easily digestible ingredients, a good fiber source, and probiotics, youâre less likely to irritate his system. That way is dinner will stay in his stomach long enough for complete processing. With proper digestion, youâll see firmer stools.
- Gives Fido a Balanced Diet -Premium products for dogs with sensitive stomachs should have a balance of the nutrients your pal needs to thrive. The AKC recommends that you look for âcomplete and balancedâ on the product label to help ensure that youâre giving your pal the proper nutrition for his needs.
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Grain Free Recipe Be Natural Recipe
Price Range: $$
What We Like About It
- Flavor – dogs love to eat it
- It has quality easy to digest ingredients
- It works – customers report decreased allergy symptoms
What We Don’t Like
- The kibble is big and may not work for smaller dogs
- It can spoil if you donât store it properly
Also Check: What Causes Liver Failure In Cats
Ingredients In Dog Food That Cause Upset Stomachs In Dogs
Every dog is a little different. Some dogs digest everything that goes into their stomach without an issue, including entire rolls of toilet paper. Others experience discomfort from the mildest change in their diet. There are a few aspects of dog nutrition you should be aware of that can help you find the best food for dogs with sensitive stomachs.
Why Do Dogs With Sensitive Stomachs Need Special Care
I recommend Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat Canned Dog Food for best wet. Its also recommended by Dr. Singleton for dogs with gastrointestinal issues. Dogs experiencing digestive difficulties, such as constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, or a lack of appetite, might benefit from this palatable wet meal.
Also Check: Where Can I Buy Nulo Dog Food
Also Check: Can The Liver Grow Back
Homemade Foods For Dogs With Sensitive Stomachs
Always be sure to apply the same sanitation techniques as you would when cooking for yourself or your human companions when you are cooking for your pup. Also, remember that the only way to know if these foods are helping your dogs upset tummy is to monitor him closely. If you find that one or more of these foods contribute to the sensitivity, stop feeding it to him immediately.
Nutro Limited Ingredient Grain
About: Nutro Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Lamb & Sweet Potato is a limited-ingredient diet, designed to be easy on your pups digestive tract and minimize potential food sensitivities. Additionally, this bland dry dog foods primary ingredients lamb and sweet potato are typically very easy for dogs to digest.
It also comes in a small and large breed variation, so you can choose based on your poochs size and unique needs.
- Deboned lamb and lamb meal are the first two ingredients, with lamb as the single-source animal protein.
- Made in the USA with non-GMO ingredients and no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, and no corn, soy, gluten, or grains.
- Includes potatoes, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and lentils as digestible proteins.
Nutro Limited Ingredient dry dog food contains quality ingredients without adding a lot of the unnecessary additives that other dog foods do. This is especially helpful for dogs with sensitive stomachs, and most owners report that their dogs digest the food very well.
As with many quality dog foods, owners tend to be a bit dismayed at the price, but this is pretty standard for quality ingredients.
Deboned Lamb, Lamb Meal, Chickpeas, Dried Potatoes, Dried Sweet Potato…,
Don’t Miss: Can Pancreatitis Cause High Blood Sugar
Easy Homemade Dog Food Recipe
Jump to RecipeMy easy homemade dog food recipe combines lean ground sirloin, wholesome brown rice, fresh vegetables, hard boiled eggs, and tender herbs
***Please note, I am not a veterinarian, just a very passionate dog owner! The information in this blog post documents our own personal experiences, research, and the recipes that we feed our dogs under our veterinarian’s careful supervision. Please, consult with your vet and use your own personal judgment when considering transitioning to a 100% human-grade food diet for your pup. This post was updated with video August 16, 2020, updated with additional recipe links 9/14/2020, updated 1/7/2021 with metric measurements, updated 1/3/2022 with recipe links for hydrating meals.***
Homemade Sensitive Dog Food Recipe: Chicken With Rice And Pumpkin
- 1 ½ cups of white rice
- ½ cup of chicken breasts
- ¼ cup of plain yogurt
- ¼ cup of canned pumpkin
- ½ cup of vegetable mix
Cook white rice according to the instructions on the box. Put the chicken breasts in a large pot, cover them with water, and boil over medium heat.
Shred the chicken into pieces and mix it well with the rest of the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
This is a simple recipe for bland food which is easy to digest.
Yogurt can soothe the inflamed stomach, while canned pumpkin can help make your dogs bowel movements regular and firm up his stool because it is rich in fiber.
Recommended Reading: Life Expectancy For Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer
Video Answer: Can Bananas Upset A Dogs Stomach
Add a tablespoon of plain, unsweetened yogurt to the food.
Keeping your dog on a daily probiotic like yogurt or FortiFlora can help minimize digestive episodes.
Pumpkin, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, and bananas can also be added to help settle the stomach.
Yes, you can use over-the-counter medicines for your dog!
- Chicken and Rice. Chicken and rice are prime ingredients in many dog foods, and these mild foods sit well on upset canine stomachs
- Shredded Chicken. Shredded chicken is easy on upset stomachs and acts as a huge eating incentive for dogs with decreased appetites
Amoxicillin may cause stomach upset, vomiting and diarrhea.
If stomach upset occurs, try giving the medication with food.
These symptoms may go away during treatment.
If these symptoms continue, contact your veterinarian.
Antibiotics can certainly cause stomach upset in some animals.
The most common side effects are vomiting and/or diarrhea.
Some animals may still develop some stomach upset despite these changes.
These patients may need to switch to another antibiotic altogether.
Your dog ends up suffering with gas, a belly ache, and often times we can cause them to have diarrhea or become constipated.
If you want to give your dog a healthy treat then give them carrots.
Cooked or raw your dog will be benefited with vitamins instead of an upset stomach and will appreciate it later.
Homemade Dog Food Sources
- Meats: chicken, turkey, beef, bison, pork, lamb, venison
- Vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, zucchini, summer squash, spinach, kale, collard greens, chard, thawed frozen peas
- Complex carbohydrates: brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, lentils, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, winter squash
Recommended Serving Amounts
- 2 pounds of food per day for a 100-pound dog
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of food per day for a 50-pound dog
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound of food per day for a 25-pound dog
- 5 to 6 1/2 ounces of food per day for a 10-pound dog
This information is not intended to replace professional medical advice. Every dog’s dietary needs are different. Please consult with your veterinarian and use personal judgment when applying this information to your own dog’s diet.
Read Also: How Get Rid Of Stomach Acid
Dont Rely Only On Internet Recipes
If youre only planning on giving your dog a homemade meal every once in a while, following an online recipe should be OK, as long as they dont contain any ingredients your pups sensitive to.
But if youre looking to give him homemade dog food on a regular basis, you shouldnt rely on those recipes.
Most online recipes are lacking in several nutrients, and we need to ensure the diet has everything our pet needs to be healthy, Dr. Simon said.
Instead, you should consult a vet or dog nutritionist to come up with a meal plan and recipes that are nutritionally balanced and complete, based on your dogs specific needs. To find a board-certified veterinary nutritionist, theres a handy directory through the American College of Veterinary Nutrition.
Ingredients Needed For This Homemade Dog Food Recipe:
This DIY dog food made at home is filled with rich protein, vegetables, and healthy grains. Heres what youll need:
- Coconut oil provides a variety of health benefits for dogs, such as improving the skin and coat, increasing energy, aiding digestion, and reducing allergic reactions, just to name a few. And just like us, your dog needs healthy fats in their diet.
- Ground turkey will add necessary protein to your dogs diet, as well as important vitamins and minerals.
- Veggies this homemade dog food recipe uses a mix of zucchini, spinach and carrots. All are safe for dogs and will provide your baby with a variety of nutrients.
- Turmeric a dog-safe seasoning that also provides antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Egg for extra protein and nutrients.
- Rice a complex carb that provides energy and aids in gastrointestinal function.
You May Like: Recovery From Laparoscopic Gallbladder Surgery
What Are The Benefits Of Homemade Dog Food
Homemade dog food can benefit your canine companion in several ways especially if you have a pet who suffers from allergies, skin problems, or gastrointestinal sensitivity.
Highly-processed foods also lose nutritional value, whereas making dog food from scratch maintains more vital nutrients during the cooking process. With fresh food, you know exactly what your dog is getting versus reading the label and being confused by all the additives and preservatives.
White Rice And Chicken Recipe For Food Sensitive Dogs
- 2 cups of white rice
- 1 ½ pound of chopped chicken meat
- 1 ½ cup of vegetable mix
- 4 ½ cups of water.
First, heat a big skillet and add rice, meat, vegetables, and water to it. Cook it on medium heat until the mixture boils.
Then cover the skillet and let it simmer for about 15 minutes to cook all the ingredients properly, especially the white rice.
This is a straightforward recipe that suits dogs with sensitive tummies since both chicken and rice have a calming effect.
You May Like: How To Ease Stomach Pain
Homemade Dog Food Vs Store
If youre debating switching your dog from store-bought food to homemade meals, its important to weigh the pros and cons of both.
For example, while homemade food may have fresher, higher-quality ingredients than store-bought food, it might not contain all the nutrients your dog needs.
On the other hand, pretty much all the dog food you find in stores should follow the nutritional standards set by the Association of American Feed Control Officials .
The main reason for this is because store-bought dog foods are nutritionally complete and contain every micronutrient our pets need, Dr. Simon said. The owner can buy the food aimed at their dogs size and age, as well as choosing the flavor they prefer.
And if convenience is a priority, store-bought options are definitely easier to manage than homemade dog food.
It is usually readily available and requires no preparation, Dr. Simon said. It is easy to store and lasts a long time when unopened.
When People Find Out We Make Our Own Dog Food At Home They Always Ask Us What About A Raw Diet So Let’s Get That Out Of The Way First
There are LOTS of thoughts and theories on feeding your dog a raw diet especially a dog that is living with kidney disease. Our vet however, was personally opposed to feeding a raw diet due to the fact that dogs, just like us, are very susceptible to food poisoning. Besides that, a raw diet can be tricky to get just right! You run the risk of giving your dog a horrible belly ache by mixing a raw diet with cooked treats, so if you decided to go raw it is important to have both raw meals and raw treats planned for your pup at all times. NO MIXING the two! Since raw and cooked foods digest at different rates any combination of the two can wreak serious havoc on your pup’s gut which can lead to some pretty unpleasant situations for you – if you get my drift.
Recommended Reading: Fat Free Foods For Gallbladder